Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Glittery bottlecap resin magnets...

Here are a few of my bottle cap magnets... The pictures are pretty bad, but you get the idea, right?

To make these, I held the bottle caps over a flame for about 5 seconds (just long enough to melt the plastic seal). Then I pulled the seal out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I then washed the bottle caps to get rid of that delicious beer scent and any soot left over from melting the plastic. Then I painted the inside surface and "walls" with mod podge and sprinkled on my glitter. Once the glitter dried I applied a thin coat of mod podge over the glitter to seal it. Once completely dry, I placed my buttons in place (only after snipping off the shank), and poured resin to the rim and placed on a flat surface to dry overnight. When dry, I super glued magnets in place.

This pic came out really dark... I need to find a better lit place to take pictures without a flash.

The dollar signs are my favorite, so far...

The glitter on these is very fine. I skipped sealing the glitter and none floated to the surface.
These aces would have turned out a lot better if I sealed the glitter. I didn't and some of the glitter didn't float to the surface... I guess that's what I get for not sealing them. Trial and error, they are stilll kinda cool looking.Orange skull stickers on copper glitter background... pretty cute.



No comments: