Tuesday, July 29, 2008

HobLob

As expected, I just thought of a really cool idea and now I need to go to Hobby Lobby and pick up some resin dye!

Speaking of Hobby Lobby...

I only discovered the greatness that is Hobby Lobby a couple years ago, before then I was strictly a Michael's girl.

It all started with a search for an arts and craft store that I could run to during a lunch break. With no Michael's anywhere close, I attempted to find the Jo-anne Fabrics that the internet swore was just down the road.
No dice... didn't exist.
Feeling defeated, I conjured up the courage to venture further into the Chicago suburbs than I felt comfortable with and took my chances on a oddly named little store... Hobby Lobby.

I thought I'd weigh the pros and cons of, what has now become, one of my favorite stores.

PRO: Online coupons. The kind folks at Hobby Lobby have really won me over with this one. Unlike some other Arts & Craft supply stores, (you know who you are, Michael's) Hobby Lobby post's their weekly coupons online for the world to print. You can print as many as you like and go every day or drag some friends and have them make your purchases for you. I like to wait for the 40% off coupons to pick up bigger ticket items, like resin or fabric. Oh you read that right, you can even use your coupons toward fabric!
















You can find this weeks coupon here...
http://www.hobbylobby.com/site3/weekly/coupon.cfm

If you've ever coveted a coupon you cut out of a Michael's weekly circular or were dissapointed when you noticed that the flyer you picked up at the front door had a big rectangle ripped out of it, you know how fantastic this is!

CON: Hobby Lobbys are no where near my apartment. This is a huge inconvenience and I have to really put some thought into planning out my trips. There is a location closer to the office, but it's still a hike and a lunch run to Hobby Lobby is definitely a 'get in and get out' event. This blows, because they have a ton of cool stuff to browse. I'm often easily distracted and end up coming back late from my lunch run still hungry and having spent twice what I estimated.

PRO: They have everything... it's your one stop arts and craft store... I can pick up fabric, paint, and resin all in one trip.

CON: They are closed on Sundays so their employees can worship God... or something.

PRO: Skate shoes are NOT allowed in the store. Holl lay loo yah! Now here's a reason to praise God or something! More stores need to start this ban!


CON: I bought Easy Craft resin at Hoby Lobby and it was $12.99 (before coupon *wink*), I bought the same resin at Michael's for $10.95. Resin gouging!

PRO: They alway have a huge clearance section. And although their clearance items aren't always priced to move, once in a while you can find a really good deal. Especially on their custom frames. I'm not sure what other custom frame shops do with the frames that are rejected or not picked up, but Hobby Lobby prices those bad boys to sell.

Thats all for now... Happy discounting!

No comments: